A soup perfect for cooler weather. Pair this dish with a glass of Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow onions (2-4 onions depending on size) peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ginger, minced (about a 1-inch knob) packed lightly to measure
- 1/4 tsp. coriander, ground
- 2 1/2 organic heirloom carrots (about 15 7-inch carrots) washed, peeled, sliced into 1/4 inch thick coins
- 7 cup water
- Garnish with crème fraiche, orange oil, flaky sea salt, minced chives
Pour the olive oil into a 6-quart capacity stockpot placed over medium heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the onions and the 1 tsp. Kosher salt. Stir to coat the onions evenly with oil. Place a lid on the pot, cooking the onions slowly until they reduce by half and become very soft without coloring (40-45 minutes). Stir occasionally and lower the heat if needed to prevent browning. When the onions are ready – remove lid, raise the heat and add ginger and coriander. Cook and stir until fragrant.
Add carrots, water, and remaining 4 tsp. (or to taste) Kosher salt, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook gently until the carrots are very, very tender (about 1 hour). Cook uncovered for the last 15 minutes to reduce the liquid slightly. Remove from heat.
Purée the soup in batches in a blender at high speed. For safety purposes, fill the jar no more than halfway and hold the lid down securely with a towel between your hand and the lid. Chill the soup before serving. Garnish as desired with orange oil, crème fraiche, chives, and salt.